Thursday, January 17, 2013

Gun Control and Mental Health

Depression is a condition I have had to contend with for most of my life. I also own guns. I have never considered using one of my guns on myself or on another. Never. But with the executive orders signed by president Obama concerning gun control I now doubt I will ever seek medical help for my depression ever again. Why? Because I fear my gun ownership will be reported to the government and used as an excuse to confiscate them.

One of the executive actions states "Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes." What is to be used with this information? Will doctors be required to report this information? And if they are, is there a burden of proof required to determine that you are a threat to yourself or others? Or does the fact that you seek help, and own guns, make you a threat and therefore reportable?

Some of the executive orders were so vague they have no meaning. One stated "Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks." What is a dangerous person? Is it anyone that owns a gun and seeks medical help for a mental or emotional condition?

I had trouble sleeping last night as the scenario of armed police raiding my house in the middle of the night to take my guns. I have visions of members of my family being gunned down by the very people sent to "protect me from myself or others". (Just Google what happens during SWAT raids of homes where guns are present so see what I mean). 

Maybe this is all just a knee-jerk reaction by me. But It seems that tying medical care to law enforcement will make people think twice about seeking help for mental and emotional conditions out of fear of involving the authorities, resulting in men with guns visiting your home in the middle of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment